Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Identity Construction Among Transgender People Of Color Study

TransGriot note: I met Kylan during TSTBC 2005 and have participated in his research project. There is a huge need to get information out there about African-American transgender peeps and other t-peeps of color.

f you are a trans identified person of color I would love to hear from you and have you share your experiences. I will be traveling the US (Midwest, West Coast, and Southwest) and Vancouver, Canada in May and June, as well as New York in August. I will also be conducting phone interviews over the next year.

I am a FtM, queer, and anti-racist identified graduate student in Sociology at SIUC. My research is in the area of gender and racial stratification, how this is experienced in the transgender communities, and how this affects perceptions of self.

My research project is called "Identity Construction Among Transgender People of Color". If you have any questions about me or my research please contact me at kylan.devries@gmail.com or my faculty advisor, Professor Rob Benford at rbenford@siu.edu

This research explores the stories/narratives of Trans People of Color
(inclusive term to include all identities on the transgender
spectrum), how you perceive yourself, and how others perceive you. I am particularly interested in how racial identity affects perception of self during and after transitioning (I recognize that transitioning is subjective and may not have an end for some). Participation is completely voluntary and confidential

To participate please contact me:
Kylan M. de Vries
kylan.devries@gmail.com or kylan33@siu.edu
(618) 303-4767


This project has been reviewed and approved by the SIUC Human Subjects Committee. Questions concerning your rights as a participant in this research may be addressed to the Committee Chairperson, Office of Research Development and Administration, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901-4709. Phone (618) 453-4533. E-mail: siuhsc@siu.edu

No comments: