Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Love Ya Transbrothas














Black Brotha, I love ya, I will never - try to hurt ya
I want ya, to know that, I'm here for you - forever true
Black Brotha, strong brotha, there is no - one above ya
I want ya, to know that, I'm here for you - forever true


Like Angie Stone, I love my brothas. Transbrothas, that is. ;)

What transsistah wouldn't love these smart, handsome, sexy chocolate transmen?

Transmen haven't gotten the media coverage that transwomen have gotten over the last fifty years but that's starting to change. Transbrothas have gotten even less, but that hasn't stopped them from increasingly stepping out of the shadows and rightfully stepping up to leadership roles in our community.

Whether its Rev. Joshua Holiday kicking knowledge on faith issues, Kylar Broadus doing it on the board of the National Black Justice Coalition, Zion Johnson's history making turn as the first African-American leader of FTMInternational, the transbrothers are large and in charge.

The transbrothers also have their role models and trailblazing heroes as well. I had the pleasure of meeting the late Alexander John Goodrum at a 1999 Creating Change in Oakland. Yosenio Lewis I worked with during my time on NTAC's board. I never had the opportunity to meet the late Marcelle Cook-Daniels. Imani Henry is a performance artist and activist in the New York area. I had the pleasure of meeting Louis Mitchell at TSTB.

Just as there are stealth transsistahs out there doing thangs to uplift the race, there are stealth transbrothas who are also making a difference in our communities as well.

You go boys. Your transsisters will be definitely be cheering you on as y'all step up your game and contribute your talents to help us build our community.

No comments: