Friday, September 05, 2008

See Ya ShaRaun

I've commented about the ignorance that some of my people have when it comes to transgender issues, and some of it played out on the very first night of America's Next Top Model.

ShaRaun was quoted as saying "America's Next Top Model isn't going to be a drag queen." She needs not only a lesson in definitions but some washcloths to wipe the egg off her face since she was introducing herself as the next 'America's Next Top Model'

As they say in the ballroom community, you've been chopped.



Maybe you need to spend some time hanging out at The Baton when you get back to Chitown. While you're at it, 'ejumacate' yourself on transgender issues.

But she ain't the only Cycle 11 contestant (or in ShaRaun's case former contestant) that needs some education on transgender issues. Clark is quoted as saying, "Isis has no place in this competition."

Well, it's all about how well you can model, not whether you were born with ovaries and a vagina. Hopefully the photo shoots over time will prove me correct.

And since Clark is throwing shade, you better have game to back up your mouth. I will be cracking up laughing and writing about it on TransGriot if in a subsequent show I see you packing your stuff because you 'have no place in this competition' except a one way ticket home.

In the meantime it's going to be a bumpy, ignorant and catty road that Isis will have to travel to fulfill her dream.

It's not like we transpeeps haven't dealt with people like them before. In this case the transphobes will be doing their thang with cameras rolling and their ignorance can be recorded for posterity like this.



If you're reading this Isis, bump them and handle your business with class, elegance and dignity.



For every one of those ignorant witches and smirking media empty heads making light of this situation, remember that you have an entire community cheering for you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really upsets me that some of those girls are so ignorant and catty toward Isis. It's not something unexpected. It's nice to see there were some really open-minded and nice girls on that show as well. I admired Isis for having so much class and her positive attitude.
In my personal experience, if you are a good looking trans, there will be some resentment/jealousy from most born girls toward you. But at the end of the day, you gotta not give it any energy because they just feel threatened and insecured by how brave and strong we are. I am an openly trans woman. I've worked very hard to become who I am, why hide it?

crys said...

you know - i stopped watching ANTM AT CYCLE 1- the last person I remember liking on the show was shandie- LOL. anyway - this season is definitely interested and i watched it because of isis. i was glad to see a few girls (like i imagine i would if in that situation) reaching out to her, but i was really surprised and shocked to see how intimidated the other girls were by her presence.

Monica Roberts said...

Melania,
That you have ;)

Your bravery and strength gives me as one of your transgender elders the strength to do what I need to do to make this world a better place for you and the kids behind you.

Crys,
If I knew my competitor not only had a better grasp of the modeling biz than I did, walked ballrooms in the runway category for years and was a drop dead gorgeous transwoman to boot, I might be a little nervous too.