Monday, October 06, 2008

You're Welcome, Sis

I was excited and happy to see as I checked my e-mail this morning one from Isis.

She thanked everyone for their support as she worked her butt off to win Cycle 11 of America's Next Top Model.

She mentioned that she'd had someone forward the open letter I wrote to her, had just read it and thanked me for writing it.

Well, sis. You're welcome. You are an inspiration to not only me, but the entire community. While we were disappointed in the outcome, it also taught us a bigger lesson.

We need to be proud of who we are and push to make our dreams come true. The more we just live our lives, the more that we'll roll back the negativity and ignorance that characterizes our relationships with the world.

We especially needed our fellow African-American people to see you and Laverne Cox. It lets people know that the stereotypes that are bandied about concerning African-American transwomen are predominately based on inaccurate and ignorant assumptions.

We African-American transwomen are beautiful, intelligent, proud of our heritage and wish to do our part to not only live quality lives but uplift our people as well.

Thanks to you and Laverne, that message may finally be getting through.


TransGriot Note: For those of you who are interested, here's the link to Isis' MySpace page.

3 comments:

crys said...

monica - you are just the sweetest thing!!

crys said...

well - not THING as in THING THING
lol, you know what i mean - it was really sweet of you to write that letter to ISIS - i'm so glad she saw it and responded!

Monica Roberts said...

I got it, Crys. ;)

I just felt that strongly about it and wrote what I was feeling at the time for her.